Ms. Cooley is a highly respected Bharatanatyam performer and teacher who was trained in Chennai, India by the renowned dancers and choreographers, Sri M. V. Narasimhachari and Smt. M. Vasanthalakshmi.
Dr. Mahadevan received his training in Carnatic vocal music from Professor T.R. Subramanyam, Mrs. Jayalakshmi Santhanam and others.
The mission of Kala Nivedanam is two fold:
- To provide professional level instruction in Bharatanatyam and Carnatic music to all students who have a genuine interest in learning;
- To promote an understanding of classical Indian art and culture in the wider Nashville community through public performances, educational presentations and collaborations with other arts institutions.
Kala Nivedanam offers:
- Classes in music and dance to students of all ages, ethnic backgrounds, and levels. Instruction follows a traditional curriculum beginning with a solid foundation in basic technique and culminating – for serious students – in an arangetram, or professional debut;
- Performances by Ms. Cooley or Dr. Mahadevan;
- Opportunities for advanced-level students to perform with Ms. Cooley or Dr. Mahadevan in various venues throughout the city;
- Lecture-demonstrations in area schools, universities and churches;
- Visiting Artists – Ms. Cooley and Dr. Mahadevan work with area institutions such as the Sri Ganesha Temple, the Global Education Center and Vanderbilt University’s South Asian Student Exchange to present performances by visiting Indian artists.
Through these activities, Kala Nivedanam works to spread awareness, understanding and respect for the classical art traditions of India.